Is it just me, or is Mid Century Modern design swoon-worthy?! It seems to just look better with age, proving that clean lines and beautiful finishes never go out of style! Cue this stunning walnut & brass American of Martinsville dresser from their Dania Collection by designer Merton Gershon! I couldn’t love it’s louvered drawer fronts more and they weren’t damaged, so I simply painted the chipped up exterior of the piece. This was such an easy refinish… slapped on some ‘Artissimo’ Miss Mustard Seed’s milk paint & hemp oil to match the existing furniture I built in the room & called it a day!
It took longer to style all my favorite gaudy nautical accents around this piece than it did to paint it, lol! I think the brass lizard and seagulls from BrassandTeak’s Etsy Shop suit it perfectly, the watercolor is an abstract beach sunset that I painted (hit me up for a custom color landscape of your own), and the vase & jewelry box are a couple of my favorite finds from west elm.
I am over the moon about how this piece turned out!
I’m continuing to create furniture from the bulky Armoire seen in this post! It’s been a blast to come up with new designs and upcycle this piece into modern furniture! I already built this Campaign Lingerie Chest out of it, so I wanted to create a complimentary Campaign Chest of Drawers. It was an extremely easy build, making it like you would any simple base cabinet. With 3/4″ plywood, wood glue, and screws, I slapped this bad boy together & used birch veneer iron-on edging to give it a finished look! I also had to sand, re-stain, and rub-on poly the drawer fronts and brasso the hardware. The outside of the chest was painted with Miss Mustard Seed’s milk paint in ‘Artissimo’ followed by hemp oil & I used the same mint green on the inside of the open shelf as I did on the lingerie chest. I painted the base and campaign T’s brass to finish this chest off. I have yet to decide whether or not I’m going to use the last of my vintage campaign T’s on the corners of this piece or use them on a coordinating bench or nighstand, so for now this chest is finished. Check out my work in picture form! —>
I’m currently brainstorming what I can make with the doors that remain from the original armoire and hoping I find another one to upcycle soon!!! Have you dismantled any furniture lately?!
Hope you and your family have a fun and safe Fourth of July!!! :D
I have to laugh about my incessant need to always take the hard way while tackling perfectionism along the way, lol! I was recently given a ginormous armoire with brass hardware that reminds me of campaign pieces, but instead of taking the easy way and slappin’ a coat of paint on it, I’m thinkin’ an upcycle into a more modern & functional piece is in order. The veneer on this piece is pretty beat up, the door handles are broken, and it has a speckle finish that needs to be stripped off. I’m also toying with the idea of planing the drawer fronts on the left to square them up since they are a bit wonky & then build a tall Lingerie Dresser to house them. Sounds easy enough, right?! Here’s my mint green and brass concept sketch for this piece to give me motivation to build…
I was havin’ the buyer’s remorse over this little French Provincial dresser. I only bought it cuz hubby needed a dresser (I mighta sold his old one to buy this one, lol) and the style goes with a hutch and small table that currently reside in our master bedroom. I love the curves of French Provincial, the stunning drawer fronts, and incredible hardware are beyond lovely! That said, this piece had no character to me. The wood lacked luster and the whole piece kinda faded into itself. I had imagined that a little paint and distressing would give it a voice again, but I was beginning to doubt that I could bring it back to life. I had to give this refinish a shot though, considering I already shelled out the dough for it! Planing the drawers was on the top of my to-do list since three of the four were jammed shut even after being in the AC for three days! Not cool.
Paintbrush in hand I went to work, whipping up a batch of homemade chalk paint using non-sanded grout, water, and latex paint until the mixture was similar to pancake batter. I slapped on 1 coat on the drawer fronts and two coats everywhere else. Slowly, but surely, I could see my vision for this piece come into view! Once dry, I distressed and waxed, careful to distress only the drawer fronts, as I really wanted them to stand out. After buffing out the wax, I stood back & smiled! My perseverance payed off! This piece had character again… and also a name, Ginger, because it DOES have a soul!! ;D
I found this Mid Century Modern dresser on Craig’s List and knew I could make it a fun piece for my little guys’ bedroom. It was pretty dinged up and the finish was uneven so I decided on a faux bois (false wood) paint job in order to add some graphic elements to their space.
I began by lightly sanding the whole piece so that primer and paint could properly adhere. Then I used a Behr’s latex paint sample in ‘Leapfrog’ on the drawer fronts, quickly rolling a wood grain rocker on the drawers after applying paint. Wood grain rockers are a blast to use + if you make a mistake you can apply more paint and roll again until you achieve the desired effect. I wanted more of a graphic design on this piece, rather than trying to replicate wood grain, so I only rolled the rocker slightly. After the drawer paint cured for a day I applied two layers of polycrylic, lightly sanding with 220 grit sandpaper between coats. While the poly dried I primed and painted the shell of the dresser white, simply making the stylized drawer fronts the focal point.
And there you have it, an awesome addition to my little guys’ room! They love it and now my 5 year-old can proudly pick out his own clothes… AND put them away all by himself, which I have to admit, was an added incentive for me to refinish this piece! ;)