Meet Stella. A French Provincial antique table in need of a fresh start. When I spotted her I noticed her gorgeous bones, which happens to be my only prerequisite for refinishing a piece. I happily lugged her home and got to work. Her top was water damaged and dull, so the first thing I did was strip and sand it down to bare veneer. She was looking better already!
Next up was to apply some fresh lacquer in order to protect it from future damages. Three coats of lacquer and a single cot of wax make for an incredible feel and richness to the wood. After finishing her top it was time to give her base a new paint job. A warm antique white matched her stunning wood grain perfectly. For this piece I whipped up some homemade chalk paint and applied two thick coats, achieving an authentic aged look. When using chalk paint, a layer of furniture wax must be applied in order to seal the dried paint. For this piece I distressed while applying the wax, using 0000 steel wool and an old t-shirt to work the wax into the paint. Twenty minutes after applying the wax I buffed it out, creating an incredibly soft sheen that is comparable to no other furniture finish.
The bottom shelf remains half-finished for now… I have something brilliant in store for this French Provincial beauty! Stay tuned! ;D
Linkin’ back to…
Update : Check out this post about how I added character to this piece by decoupaging a vintage map of London to it’s shelf!!
I came across this beautiful little Mersman table recently & since I’m a tad obsessed with mint at the moment, I picked up a brush and painted away!! I also distressed, waxed, primed, and polyed, of course, hehe! The bad news is there are no before pics on this one since I’ve been crazy busy deckin’ the halls, but the good news is that this very table is being GIVEN AWAY soon! Keep an eye on my blog for details & happy holidays to you!!!
I don’t know why I get so attached to furniture… I just get a feeling from some pieces, an urge to bring them back to their former glory or to create a more modern story with their timeless beauty. Guess I’m just a romantic at heart! This piece gave me that feeling and more even before I painted, distressed, and waxed it!!
As I worked, it reminded me of my Great Aunt Fran, classy and beautiful. That description could also hold true for my Mother, which is why I’m beyond happy that this piece is going to her! Hope you enjoy it, Mom! :)))
This project was a joy to work on since this beautiful antique table belongs to my oldest little guy’s favorite Pre-K teacher. She handed me a bedspread to choose the table’s color from and gave me carte blanche to refinish the piece!
I started by repairing an inside drawer box piece, staining any bare wood & scratches to match the existing finish, and filling a hole in one of the back legs. Then I whipped up some homemade chalk paint using pigment from Behr’s Bali Bliss, a gorgeous teal that matches her bedspread. I applied one coat of chalk paint to the base and two to the top. I wanted the drawer front to have more of a distressed look to it than the rest of the piece, so I sanded it a tad in spots that would normally show wear. The drawer’s knobs were stunning, but needed a new paint job and waxing to make them stand out. I also waxed the rest of the piece using rags from an old shirt dipped in Briwax, gently distressing as I applied. When working with chalk paint you have to distress gently as the paint comes off very easily. I buffed out the wax on the base, protecting the chalk paint and creating a beautiful sheen. I then got to work on the top, gently sanding with 220 grit sandpaper & waxing, letting it dry, then buffing the top, being extremely careful not to remove any chalk paint. This creates a wonderful texture and pattern reminiscent of water, which looks amazing with blues and greens such as this table.
I’m thrilled with how this table turned out… hope my son’s teacher enjoys her pop of color!
Hey y’all! I wanted to share my most recent refinished furniture project. I found this damsel in distress for just $5 at a thrift store and fell in love with it’s octagonal shape. Here’s the step-by-step…
I distressed the bottom which was a dirty shade of yellowish green and it happened to have white underneath (probably primer), which looked like an antique white so it worked beautifully over the bare wood. My distressing technique is to dip 0000 steel wool into wax and work off some of the paint. When I’m happy with the way it looks, I take an old shirt and buff out the wax until it’s smooth. I love furniture wax… it has a warm glow to it and feels so soft to the touch!
Next up was the top which required tons of sanding. Sanding is probably my least favorite aspect of refinishing furniture, but it’s a must in order to put a beautiful new stain & finish on. After sanding with 80, 120, then 220 grit sandpaper, I tack clothed the top, conditioned the wood, and stained the outer edge in an ebony stain… the center took a bit more time since I wanted it to look aged. I mixed a natural stain with a little ebony and a lot of elbow grease. With the color just how I wanted I polyed it, this time I used a rub-on polyurethane just to try something new… I like the way it looks, warm just like the wax… time will tell how toddler-proof it is.
I love how this project turned out… now I just have to muster up the courage to put a price tag on it! Happy DIY’ing weekend to y’all!