I’m so happy to be sharing my most recent project! My adorable four year-old & I happened to come across our coffee table’s cousin on a recent thrift store hop! It was dingy, dirty, and a shade of yellow that just looked sad, but my little guy & I spotted it from across the store since it had the same exact details of our coffee table… which also happens to be a refinished thrift store beauty! ; ) With a price tag of $25 I knew we had to bring our coffee table’s kin home with us. I refinished it in exactly the same fashion so the materials for this project came to a grand total of zero dollars, perfect!! I’ll take you on my week long journey through this painted project and please start your own to share with me!
… a sanding I will go, a sanding I will go, high ho, high ho… have to sing so that sanding is amusing! I was lucky enough to find that this piece was actually primed under the yellow, so I left most of that on & started painting it! Two coats of latex semi-gloss was all it took to cover this piece. I love how easy it is to clean & the soft shine of semi-gloss is perfect for a modern refinish like this one.
I had somewhat of an idea of what I was getting myself into with all the grooves, but I certainly didn’t think it would take 20 hours… I suppose that makes me appreciate the final result that much more though! After two coats of my 4 year-old & I’s favorite blue in latex semi-gloss, I went on to refinishing the MDF shelf inserts. They were a semi-groovy 70’s basket weave painted the same blech yellow as the rest & I didn’t care for the weave texture so I hammered them out & flipped them over to reveal a flat surface to paint. I primed, painted turquoise, then painted darker blue, then stripped off the paint, and let dry… a happy accident that I came across a couple years ago when I disliked how the paint looked. I think this sort of reverse painting gives an abstract quality to furniture which I love! When I refinish furniture I try to give each piece an unexpected element, changing it from a utilitarian object into a thing of beauty… or maybe I’m just a hopeless furniture lover, lol!
All that was left to tackle after I watched the paint dry was to add three coats of polyurethane to the shelves and staple them back into place. As a safety precaution for my toddlers, I affixed the top of the display unit to the wall so that it will never tip over… safety first! And another project bites the dust! Now I need to find some old picture frames and candles on our next thrift store jaunt! Please share your current projects with me & happy DIY’ing to y’all! :D